Friday, February 6, 2009

How Mom Knits With 2 Colors

Or, If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It

While we were in Vegas this last weekend for E.'s 40th birthday, I got to talk with Mom a bit about knitting. I made sure to ask her how she handles knitting with 2 colors of yarn.

I figured that since she used to sell Icelandic sweaters back in the day in Denver, she'd be the perfect person to ask. I thought she must use some especially efficient method, like knitting Continental with both strands on the left hand, or knitting Continental with one color and English with the other.

So I asked her if she preferred either of those methods or had another one I hadn't heard of. She looked mildly surprised and told me she just knits with the yarn in her right hand, same as always. And she just drops one yarn and picks up the other as needed.

Don't get me wrong - I still love learning new techniques. But this makes me happy on a level I can't quite explain.

No comments: