Monday, November 24, 2008

Slippers

I'm a bit bored with the baby blanket, so I took a break to work on slippers for the in-laws for Xmas. I was tempted to start work on the hat of obsession, but I don't want to completely forget the blanket. For the slippers, I used the Malabrigo loafers pattern.

Here's my first attempt, on size US 7 needles in worsted weight Berroco Comfort (50%super fine nylon, 50% super fine acrylic) used doubled throughout. It was way too tight, fabric stiff as cardboard. And the slippers were too small even for me. But these pics give a good idea of what the basic slipper looks like.

DraftFrontView
DraftBackView
DraftSideView
DraftSoleView


I frogged this rough draft slipper, then did a real pair on size US 9 needles. (Magic loop method, by the way.) These are not as stiff as cardboard, but they still have some firmness. They fit me, so I'm hoping they'll fit my mother-in-law. I'll have M. check with her on shoe sizes for everyone next time he calls her.

A. did the nifty crochet flowers for these. They're so cool! The flowers add just the right splash of color and fun. :) Speaking of color, the rough draft pics are closer to the real color. Those were taken in daylight through the window at Starbuck's, while the ones below were taken inside at A.'s house. Clearly, daylight is the way to go.

SmallFrontView1
SmallSideView
LeftFlower
RightFlower

No comments: