Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Hat I Want, 3

Here are 2 excellent links from Amy - they're cut off in the comments in the post below, so I'm reposting them: How To Crochet a Three-Color Spiral and Kneeling Warrior image from the de Young's website.

And here's another vessel that's kind of similar. (You can see the back of this one.) From what I've been reading, that thing on the back is a stirrup spout, but I have no idea why you'd make a spout that shape. Does it serve a practical purpose, or is it a matter of style? Anyone?

Also, I don't know what period the first one is from, but this second example is from between 400 AD and 1000 AD according to the de Young's website. They're both Moche pottery. Neat stuff.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

I assume that you make the spout like that to serve a double purpose, spout and handle. That way you don't have to impose a practical purpose on the figure by inserting the handle or spout into the figure's design. Also, you don't have to touch the figure and stain its color.

tada said...

I like those theories. And I especially like the idea of not imposing practicality. :)

Unknown said...

I thought that might appeal to you. ;P