Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Baby Blanket Is Done!

Ta da! Done, and before the shower even. I guess technically I'm done on the day of the shower since it's after midnight, but whatever.

I used a size H crochet hook for binding off, and yes, binding off is much faster with a hook than with knitting needles. I probably wouldn't bother for a small project, but this sucker was 888 stitches around so changing to the hook was worth it. I used size H because it's the equivalent of a US 8 knitting needle. The blanket is knitted on size US 7 needles and I figured going one size bigger for the bind off would keep it from being too tight.
BindOff1

And here it is with one whole side done:
BindOff25

Two sides done:
BindOff50

Three sides:
BindOff75

And all four sides:
BindOff100

Here's the front after I sewed in all the ends:
DoneA

And here's the center of the back:
BackB

What size is it? Roughly 4' x 4'. I'm not going to block it because I did it in a yarn that's 50% acrylic microfiber, 50% nylon. The pattern suggested superwash wool, which would have blocked well, but this is Sacremento and I think wool would get too warm. Besides, do I really think P. is going to reblock this every time it gets some baby-related fluid (or solid, or semi-solid) on it? No way. And finally, I like the somewhat swirly shape more than a square. So there.